The requirements of using vehicle simulation for the prediction of limit road handling of full vehicle models are increasing daily in the automotive industry. The need of including closed loop controllers in the system is fundamental, because more and more often the automatic control action takes over the drivers natural instinctive control, especially in very sudden unexpected events, such as instantaneous grip loss.
The usage of a detailed vehicle model is a pre-requisite to obtain accurate results, but it is not enough! A vehicle model needs an accurate physical driver model in order to ensure that simulations are performed as close as possible to test conditions on the test track. VI-Driver is the best driver model available on the market, proven in several different projects performed by major automotive OEMs and leading racing teams all around the world.
VI-grade’s simulation technology supports the development of such integrated systems of increasing complexity: the vehicle plant is realized by means of a fast multibody symbolic simulator, featuring accurate suspensions, tires, aerodynamic and powertrain components; the road and the driveline profiles can be defined with all of their important characteristics, such as distributed unevenness, kerbs, bumps and potholes; an intelligent driver model is able to explore the vehicle limits by iterating several times on automatically determined road segments, changing the target line to be followed and its actuation strategy until the vehicle is able to stay on the road. The vehicle system can be equipped with all the required closed loop controllers and the target manoeuvres can be simulated in combination with existing and externally connectable controller models, using off and/or on-line simulation techniques also for Hardware-in-the-Loop testing.
VI-grade has profound experience in developing driver models and the result of more than 10 years of research and development activities is the VI-Driver product. VI-Driver, through advanced longitudinal and lateral controllers, is able to take care of all driver channels, to follow a given speed profile (either calculated from VI-grade static solver or coming from telemetry measurements) and to find the maximum performance of a vehicle through an iterative process on a given 3D path defined by the user. VI-Driver is able also to accurately drive the vehicle model smoothly on rough 3D roads.
VI-Driver is available for many environments:
- Adams Car
- MATLAB Simulink
- Any other real-time package
- All major HIL platforms
- Ability to drive a virtual vehicle model through a number of different manoeuvres in order to allow users to accurately evaluate the dynamic behaviour of the car
- Support of open-loop manoeuvres (step steer, frequency sweep, …) and closed loop manoeuvres (Steering pad, ISO lane change, …)
- Combination of static and dynamic solver
- Lap time simulation
- Max performance evaluation
- Press Maneuvers (ISO Lane Change, Slalom, Obstacle Avoidance) with cone hitting detection algorithm
- State-of-the-art longitudinal and lateral controller
- Robust and precise driveline following algorithm
- Advanced management of all driver channels (steering, throttle, clutch, brake and gear)
- Can be used throughout the entire tool chain from concept to detailed design for Software-in-the-Loop and Hardware-in-the-Loop development
NEW FEATURES OF V16
- The new VI-EventBuilder module is now part of the VI-Driver suite to support users in creating, editing and converting event files through a practical block diagram-based interface
- Complete redesign of the human driver module to produce smoother control actions without losing robustness; the new module introduces the concept of runtime optimization of built-in cost function, computed using a dynamic internal reference model
- VI-Driver is now offered as an FMU allowing a straight-forward integration of the tool in Modelica-based softwares compatible with the FMI standard